2010年8月11日 星期三

Inspiration from children

Starting from mid July, my family started a children's classics reciting class in the morning.

My nephew and niece are 3 to 4 years old, and we believe it's high time that they started reciting classical literature such as Analects of Confucius, the Book of Changes, the Holy Bible, to name just a few. The notion of "classics education" has been getting wider recognition over the years in Taiwan and China. Numerous parents reported children's amazing retention and avidity to reading as a result of reciting classics. Excellent school performance in all subjects and development of positive personality are its additional value that parents and teachers can't be more satisfied with.

How could I, both an aunt and English teacher in the class, let go of this golden opportunity to get creative?

This month, I made a chair runner, a tissue paper holder, 6 sets of colorful alphabet flash cards, and tiny bears serving as gifts if the children pass the reciting quiz tomorrow.




We put a water jar and small cups on this wooden chair. I thought it crude and made it a runner, which is my very first original design. I love the bows at the bottom. They are a pure accident because I attached the strips to tie onto the chair’s feet, to avoid any pulls from children. They turned out too short for tying but just right for making a bow tie. The back fabric is an orange gingham, making the runner reversible.


I also made a Cleenex holder. Doesn’t it look neat? There’s a draw string on the top so I can tie and hang it wherever there’s a hook.
Finally, some teeny tiny bears, or cubs, I should say. ^^
The smaller they are, the harder it is to turn right sides out.
The chubby orange one looks funny. I added 0.5 cm around the pattern, in hope of being able to fill the stuffing more easily. Later I decided to just stick to the original pattern. ^^ I should have brought the pattern to the copy machine and enlarge it as a whole. But I was too lazy. Haha~


This is a wonderful start for me. Look forward to any further inspirations to make something new!

3 則留言:

  1. I really like your kleenex holder. Great idea.

    回覆刪除
  2. Thank you for your comment. I like it a lot, too!

    回覆刪除
  3. I love the bears...I have made some myself and collect them. Enjoyed seeing them all.
    Micki

    回覆刪除