2009年9月11日 星期五

Where did we begin?

I'm really bold to join this because I'm so new in quilting. I'd like to thank Robyn for staring this "game". Like I had said in the previous post, I started all these sewing things with teddy bear making when I was in college. Every bear was hand sewed, and I gave them away to my friends. Somehow I think that was the purpose of making bears: to bring happiness to others. The process of sewing was a pleasure in itself to me.
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
As for quilting, I started out making patchwork bags and purses since they were the dominant type of quitling projects in Taiwan. Fewer people started out with quilts. (That is so different from the west. Seems to me that everybody makes quilts.) I did not have time for classes, so I shopped online for a bag material package which came in with picutre tutorial. I began without even knowing how to make paper templates or the need for ironing after stitching. Also I had no idea for hand quilting, so I used back stitch instead of running stitch all the way~ Without knowing how, perhaps it was the love for my Mom that sustained me (Yes, the bag was made for her.), I finished the bag in 7 days, in 2008. Now my Mom carries the bag whenever she goes out on her scooter. Here is the picture:


A very handy bag, all sewed by hand.


Later, I found out about quilter's blog and was very much inspired by quilting experts and their quilts. I wanted to make one for myself. I bought a Janome J820, a machine for beginners. I surfed the Internet for details and techniques of hand quilting, creating mitered corner, making bias strips, and so on. I also bought my first patchwork book, copied the pattern and made my very first quilt. The fabrics were machine stitched together, but hand quilted. It was a simple quilt but took me more than 6 months to finish because I was indecisive about the size and color arrangement.

--> My brother holding the quilt for me.
I've been quilting for some one year now. And I've made various projects as gifts for my family and friends. I regard quilting as a great source of alacrity and confidence, both for the maker and receiver. And sometimes it is also a way for me to run away from the reality. : p
What I want to do next is free motion quilting. And my primary choice of learning is still through the Internet and books. Alright, that's as much as I have to tell. Thank you for taking your time to read my story and I look forward to be inspired by many more quilters.

2 則留言:

  1. I love bears...I would love to see the ones that you made. As to the bag, it is just lovely! You are so talented, so I am so glad that you decided to tell about your sewing. Thanks for joining my blog, and I am now following yours. You will have to one day write me and tell me about Taiwan.
    Micki

    回覆刪除
  2. Shelly I absolutely love reading your story and how you started.
    I truly think this is how we quilters learn...above all odds.... nothing stops us.
    I love your bag and your first quilt...
    Thankyou so much for sharing.
    I am truly inspired!!
    hugs
    Robyn xx

    回覆刪除